Qualified Persons (QP)
The QP appointed to carry out the prescribed inspection or supervision of the prescribed repair for windows under the MWIS shall be a person whose name is for the time being on one of the following registers kept by the BA:
- Authorized Person (AP);
- Registered Structural Engineer (RSE);
- Registered Inspector (RI);
- Registered General Building Contractors (RGBC);
- Registered Minor Works Contractors registered for the class, type and item of minor works in respect of windows.
QP Card for Qualified Person (QP)
With effect from 15 February 2016, the Buildings Department issues a QP Card for QP.
The QP Card contains the QP's name and recent photo, date of issue, date of expiry and name of contractor (except for Authorized Person / Registered Structural Engineer / Registered Inspector).
The expiry date shown on the QP Card is the same as the expiry date of the registration in their relevant register. Where the QP has been included in more than one register, only the latest expiry date will be shown.
The card holder shall return this card to BD immediately if he/she has been removed from the relevant register or has resigned or ceased to be appointed as the Authorized Signatory of the contractor.
QP Card Samples
(Issued before 22 June 2017)
QP Card Samples
(Issued on or after 22 June 2017)
Registered Contractors (RC)
The RC appointed to carry out the necessary rectification and repair works under the MWIS shall be an RGBC or RMWC who is qualified to carry out minor works belonging to the class, type and item for which they are registered.
How to register as an RC?
- Carry out personal inspection of windows.
- Provide proper supervision.
- Ensure the repair materials and their uses are in compliance with the BO and relevant standards.
- Ensure the repair works is safe and will render the windows safe.
- Notify the BA and owners of any case of emergency in respect of windows, and appointment of the QP and RC etc.
- Submit relevant documents to the BA and the owners.
- Carry out repair works in accordance with the Buildings Ordinance (BO) and relevant standards.
- Ensure that the building or windows, as the case may be, are rendered safe.
For details of checklist on the key duties of RIs and QPs and the channel for reporting irregularities, please refer to Annex II under the General Guidelines on Mandatory Building Inspection Scheme and Mandatory Window Inspection Scheme.
Standard of Inspection & Repair
For details, please refer to "Scope and Standard of Inspection and Repair".
The Code of Practice for the Mandatory Building Inspection Scheme and the Mandatory Window Inspection Scheme 2012 (CoP) issued by the BD has stipulated in details the required scope, methods and standards on inspection, the categories of building damages and the required repair, etc.
Legal liabilities & Disciplinary action
|Offence||Fine / Imprisonment|
|QP or any representative of QP fails to carry out the prescribed inspection personally unless otherwise exempted by the regulations||A fine of HK$250,000|
|QP fails to provide proper supervision of the carrying out of the prescribed repair.||A fine of HK$250,000 (other than minor works) ; or a fine of HK$150,000 (minor works)|
|QP, RGBC or RMWC fails to ensure the building, for which the QP / RGBC / RMWC is appointed to supervise the prescribed repair, is safe or has been rendered safe||A fine of HK$1,000,000 and to imprisonment for 3 years (other than minor works); or a fine of HK$500,000 and to imprisonment for 18 months (minor works)|
|Any person other than a QP who, without reasonable excuse, certifies a prescribed inspection or certifies or supervises a prescribed repair, in respect of a window in a building||To a fine of $100,000 and to imprisonment for 6 months; and
To a fine of HK$5,000 for each day during which it is proved to the satisfaction of the court that the offence has continued.
The BD will handle all reports on breach of statutory requirements under the BO. In respect of suspected irregularities, misconduct or negligence of the service providers, owners/OCs may report to the BD at telephone no. 2626 1616 (handled by 1823). As for reports on misconduct, direct report may be made to the relevant trade unions/ associations/ professional institutes and/or registration boards to which the service providers belong.
Work Safety tips for Qualified Person and Registered Contractors
- Before the commencement of and during the prescribed inspection and prescribed repair, QP shall ensure that QP and the contractor has equipped with adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (such as safety helmet and safety belt…etc.) and adequate precautionary measures had been provided;
For every building work, proper insurance should be in place such as
- a contractor's all risk insurance;
- a third party liability; and
- an employees' compensation.