Skip to Content

Building safety

Dangerous Buildings

The Buildings Department acts on reports on dangerous or defective buildings.

Common examples of dangerous buildings

Example of dangerous buildings
Example of dangerous buildings
Example of dangerous buildings

What should owners do?

Property owners and co-owners should volunteer and participate in the maintenance or renovation works, which serve to protect public safety and help create a safe living environment.

Consult a prescribed building professional or prescribed registered contractor to confirm whether the repair/investigation works to be carried out are under the Minor Works Control System (MWCS).

What should owners do?
Inspection Scheme Description
Mandatory Window Inspection Scheme (MWIS) Inspection of windows for buildings aged 10 years or above (except domestic buildings not exceeding 3 storeys)
Mandatory Building Inspection Scheme (MBIS) Inspection of buildings aged 30 years or above (except domestic buildings not exceeding 3 storeys)


Owners who obstruct the Owners Corporation in the execution of works to comply with BD's order without reasonable excuse may be prosecuted and liable on conviction to:

  • Maximum fine at level 3 (HK$10,000, at present) and
  • Imprisonment for 6 months.

Owners should carry out the repair works immediately upon receiving the statutory order from Buildings Department.


In emergency or blatant cases, the Department will carry out any necessary repair works in the first instance and recover the costs from the owners concerned afterwards.


Type Details of Penalty
Fail to comply with a statutory order
  • Maximum penalty of one year's imprisonment, and
  • Maximum fine at level 5 (HK$50,000 at present)
Continuing offences
  • Daily fine of HK$5,000.
  • Order will also be recorded in the Land Registry.

Common questions

Registration of statutory orders at the Land Registry is not a requirement under the Buildings Ordinance. Nevertheless, according to current practice, the Buildings Department will send statutory orders and their compliance records to the Land Registry for registration. You may check against the records kept by Land Registry (Please refer to The Land Registry – Frequently Asked Questions – Search Some earlier statutory orders may not have been registered at the Land Registry. It should be noted that premises with no statutory orders does not necessarily mean that it is free of unauthorised buildings works (UBW). Moreover, prospective purchasers should conduct inspection of the premises concerned and check the corresponding approval plans and minor works records in the Buildings Department’s Building Information Centre or via the BRAVO system on the internet. Professional advice should also be sought as necessary to ensure that the premises is free of UBW. You may also check with the vendor for the related information or make enquiry to the Buildings Department.