Erection of signboards, inclusive of display surfaces and fixings thereof, which are solely for the purpose of displaying any advertisement, making any announcement or notification, or displaying any visual image or other information, are "building works" subject to control of the Buildings Ordinance (BO).
For large signboards NOT falling within the technical specifications for Minor Works under the Minor Works Control System (MWCS), approval of plans and consent to commencement of works must be obtained from the Buildings Department (BD) before they are erected or altered.
Under the fast-track processing service, approval and consent may be given by the BD within 30 days.
After having obtained approval of plans and consent to commencement, the Authorized Persons and Registered Structural Engineer should ensure that sufficient measures to protect public safety are provided during the course of works.
Certain types of signboards which are relatively small in scale and pose less potential risk can be erected or altered through the simplified requirements under the Minor Works Control System if they comply with the technical specifications for Minor Works stipulated in the Building (Minor Works) Regulation.
NO prior approval and consent from the BD nor the appointment of building professionals and registered contractors are required for very small signboards fixed to the external wall of a building:
- Not result in any additional load to any cantilevered slab
- Not involve the alteration of any other structural elements
- With display area not more than 1m2
- Not consist of LED display system
- Projecting not more than 150mm from wall
- Having no part exceeding 3m from ground
- Erection of signboards, Item 10, Schedule 2 of the B(MW)R
- Removal of signboards, Item 11, Schedule 2 of the B(MW)R